Tuolumne County Swine Flu Update

DATE: April 30, 2009 Time: 7:00 am From: Kathleen K Rustrum, Tuolumne County Public Information Officer S. Todd Stolp MD, Tuolumne County Health Officer As of April 30, 2009, there are over 100 cases of Swine Influenza confirmed in the United States with one death. There have been no cases of Swine Influenza in Tuolumne […]

Read More

Despite troubles, reason to hope

Watching the news these days can be pretty depressing. The stock market is down, up, and down again.  Budget cuts, new laws, and programs are coming out of Washington, DC, and Sacramento faster than we can keep track – it’s enough to make us lose all hope. But  despite the grim outlook, we needn’t sit […]

Read More

Thankfulness for vets, community spirit

Happy Thanksgiving! This Thursday and every day, I am thankful for you and for our veterans who gave more than we know for country and community. I was out of the state on Veterans Day, but hear that Supervisor Pland filled in quite ably and well for me. Second, I am thankful for folks who see […]

Read More

Heads up: snow-plowing soon

Things are changing in District 3. Along with the color of the leaves, the weather is certainly changing. We’ve already had a dusting of snow on Sonora Pass and more will soon follow at lower elevations. With snow inevitably comes snow-plowing and an increase in emails and calls to the county. As usual, Caltrans maintains […]

Read More

Making it through tough economic times: together we can!

Our economy is in trouble. Consumer goods prices – gas, food, and other necessities – have gone up significantly. Folks are losing their homes. Businesses are closing. And those least able to deal with economic hardship – the elderly, children, disabled, and others – and the agencies/service providers that form a safety net for them […]

Read More

Help us help our “other children”

Creating a better, more hopeful future for our children so that they can work, live, and recreate here was a major goal in my campaign. It still is. Our daughter is nearing the age of adulthood at warp speed and too often folks tell me about their children and grandchildren who moved away to make […]

Read More

Speaker’s Garage: more to the story

In a recent Guest Editorial in the Union Democrat entitled “Historic buildings deserve protection,” a local activist claimed that four of five county supervisors ignored the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) in order to allow Tuolumne’s Speaker’s Garage to be demolished. Not so, according to legal research conducted by Tuolumne County’s Deputy County Counsel Carlyn […]

Read More